Grandpa's Truck day 4 and 5 - Engine prep, assembly, and install!




    The engine block went to the local McMinnville Napa to be magnafluxed, measured, and machined.  A few days later I got the bad news that a crank journal was out of spec and the crankshaft needed to be sent out to be welded and reground.  Napa also said that the water stains from the blown head gasket were too deep so they needed to bore the cylinders out as well.  While waiting for the block to be finished I pulled out the trusty dremel, gasket matched, and did some minor porting to the head. Then, I delivered the head to Wilson's Cylinder Head and Machine for a valve job and a custom camshaft.

      We had an extended weekend over New Years, which provided a great opportunity to get the truck running. So I set our goal and started throwing whatever was left of my money at random websites. The block took a few weeks to be finished and I picked it up as a short block. Luke from Wilson's managed to get me a custom grind on the camshaft, stiffer springs, and "trued up" the head in a matter of days over Christmas vacation. All of my parts were in by now as well. The feeling at this point is pretty intense. Everything was in order, but there are so many things when it comes to an engine rebuild on a 33 year old vehicle on such a tight schedule that your mind never stops. Did I order the oil pump or was that the water pump? Did it come with a gasket? Don't forget all the little things like the oil filter and PCV valve! I wonder if that coolant fitting is some weird metric size thread and where the hell will I get it!? Ahhhhhh!!
Day 4

      We got the short block back. While we were picking it up, Nicole and I picked out the paint for the block.  She suggested leaving it just primer grey and I loved the idea! We prepped it for paint and sprayed away!

Day 4 was a lot like Christmas...  Opening all of the boxes and getting super stoked! Batteries not included and assembly definitely required.






Scrub scrub scrub... It never ends


Almost there!



Stoking the fire was a big part of engine prep.




LOVE the flat grey on the block. 


Day 5!


With the block painted and the rest of the parts ready to piece back together day 5 was going to be a big push to get the engine back into its rightful home.



An early start to the big day! 



The head turned out to be a piece of art! Wilson's did a phenomenal job! I can't recommend them highly enough! I don't even want to put it on the engine, but I don't have any frames left, so hanging it on the wall isn't an option.











Stoking the fire once again.  It had started snowing early that morning and continued to snow all day.





Oh the joy of torquing head bolts!  Even Nicole got in on the action!
Grandpa swung by for breakfast and to see the progress.







We finished up the last bits on the engine and then hooked her up to the crane.  We slapped on the flywheel and clutch and dropped her in gently!


Uncle Roy came back out to lend an extra hand.


easy.... easy.....






It's in!  So stoked to have made so much progress in one very busy weekend!




I feel very lucky to have such an understanding fiancee and family.  Nicole hung out in the literally freezing garage to take photos of the process and to lend a hand when needed.  If it wasn't for my Aunt and Uncle having this building (Thanks to my Uncle and my father for building it!) this project would have never gotten done and Grandpa would have sold the truck.  It is a really good feeling that I'm able to help keep this truck running and in the family!

I got the truck running on day 6. Day 7 will be getting the exhaust done so stay tuned for some videos!

Comments

Popular Posts