Cameron Moore and VIP Performance. Memorial Day weekend annual BBQ

Cameron Moore and VIP Performance Memorial Day weekend annual BBQ

When I moved up to Portland it was apparent that the car scene here was nothing like what I had become accustomed to in southern California.  There certainly is a car scene in the Pacific Northwest but it is much different and obviously on a much smaller scale.  The first drift event I found was at a go-cart track in Canby much like Adams Motorsports park in Riverside, called Pat's Acres.  It was their first event of the season and that was the first time I saw Cameron drift.  There were many other good drivers but he stuck out in his red Lexus SC300.  That was in January.

 The next event I attended was in May for round 2 of Evergreen Speedway's Formula Drift ProAM competition.  I came across Cameron again and I couldn't believe what had happened in just a matter of months.  The car was wrapped, had new sponsors all over it, and came VIA enclosed trailer with a team in it!  It was obvious that this kid was serious about going somewhere fast!


Cameron's father, Lorne invited me to VIP Performance's annual Memorial Day BBQ to hang out and learn a little bit more about Cameron, his car, and the team.  The car gods must have decided the Northwest was overdue for a good show and some BBQ.  Upon arrival I was greeted by Cameron and quite the diverse array of cars.



It was a pretty good turnout for a small event.  The parking lot is pretty small and the cars overflowed into a dealership parking lot across the street.

BBQ - A Memorial Day weekend must...

After I scarfed down a delicious burger I pulled Cameron aside and asked him a few questions.

- So Cameron, being 20, you are young as far as the drifting scene is concerned - How and when did you get into drifting?
"Oh man, I've always had the itch for driving fast and doing stupid stuff and that kind of goes hand in hand with drifting."  

-Yea, it's certainly one of the craziest things you can do in a car!  How did you get motivated?  Was there any driver in particular?
"I went to Formula Drift with a friend who worked for America's Tire and I started talking to Joon Maeng and fell in love with the sport.  Then I went out and bought a s13 like everyone does and tore it up!"  

-I first saw you drive at the season opener at Pats Acres.  Is that the same car and if so, what changes have you made since then?
"Yea, It 's still the same car.  Every week that car changes on me though!  Wryan, Deryk, and Phillip are always messing with me!  Now it's got the Aristo 2JZ swap that's fully built with big cams and a big turbo.  The drivetrain is built as well with a OS Giken rear end and all Marlin Crawler transmission parts.  The car is pretty much FD ready.  Wryan and the guys can tell you a bit more."
Wryan - "Cameron came to VIP Performance looking for a reliable car that had performance.  As Cameron progressed into a ProAM driver, the car did as well.  The engine was a stock 2JZ.  We built that engine and added a single turbo set-up and a FD spec roll-cage.  It's got a DOC race twin-scroll manifold with Precision 67/66 billet journal bearing turbo, TiAL 44mm wastegates, and stock intake and throttle body to help keep some bottom end torque."  

-Obviously your main goal over-all is to get your FD license but tell me your steps and other goals for the season?
"My main goal for the season is to get a podium finish every single time.  When I first went into it I just wanted to get on the podium at least one or twice.  In the car on the way home from the first two events, I decided that my new goal was to be on the podium the rest of the year!"  

-Yea, you got third at Round 1 and second for Round 2.  That's a good start towards that goal!
"Yea, round 3 had better be a first place!"

-What are some of you other goals and hobbies in life? 
"Well I kind of lost all my old hobbies.  Honestly it all started with air-cooled volkswagons but then drifting came in and sort of took over.  I used to play a lot of soccer, other then that, drifting is kind of my whole life; I'm married to it!"

-Well she's a beautiful wife! What other events are you planning to attend this season?  
"Well every Evergreen event to start off, Drift EVO in two weeks, and All Star Bash at the end of the year.  We're also going over to support Boise drift.  I'd love to do some Canadian stuff but it's hard to get up there."

-Awesome!  Well we will see you out there and good luck!


Godzilla!   

Y U MAD?


True in so many ways!

Quite a few nice Honda's showed up.  Apparently VIP turns out quite a few themselves.  I've heard some are pretty quick too!




Hey, at least the Honda guys up here are realistic and have a sense of humor!

A nice Type R and a RHD Intregra


This guy showed up off the street in a sweet Camaro on straight up Hoosiers!



Yea, that's the VR6 engine out of a new Passat or Golf swapped into these Rabbits.  I've heard of this before but never seen it until today.  Needless to say, I like!



Even the chicks up here have awesome cars.   Clean 280Z

Wait, what?!?  Is that an RX-7 FC with a TURBOCHARGED LS motor?  Crazy... Now where's my ride-along?

The crowd soon moved inside the shop to their dyno for a "guess the horsepower" contest on Cameron's car.






The anticipation........


Wryan making final adjustments before the pull

Phillip watching the numbers.

Camerons 2JZ put down 656 horsepower and 570 foot pounds of torque on a low boost setting!

I want to thank the guys at VIP Performance for hosting an awesome event and for the awesome food.   Thank you to Cameron and Lorne for inviting me along and allowing me to play 20 questions!  I hope everyone enjoys the pictures and story as much as I had taking them and spending the day at the shop.

Comments

Popular Posts