Grandpa's Truck day 2 and 3 - engine removal and disassembly



We are going back in time to this last summer when we first tore into the truck. So last we left off on our project with a bad engine and a choice of updating and upgrading the engine to a newer fuel injected one or rebuilding the current engine.

We pulled the engine to get a better idea of what was wrong before making any big decisions. I knew it was going to be a bottom end issue but I wanted to know how bad it was.  I had my money on a piston wrist pin. We pulled the truck into the shop and started draining fluids and removing parts!







Let the parts go flying!

Before we knew it the engine was ready to pull! It was actually surprisingly easy to get out. I was expecting much more of a fight!









Hey!  There IS paint under all of that grease and oil!

That was enough excitement for that day!

Day 3!

Now it's time to see what's garbage and what's good!


Off comes the head with a little help from Uncle Roy!

Well that's a blown head gasket between #3 and #4!


That's right!  I'm the U.T.I. posterchild! Woot! Wait...  can I get paid for this? Actually, I think i'm more likely to get sued for it!

Well the pistons look fine. Looks like some serious measuring is going to have to happen!





To be continued...




I want to thank my amazing fiancee Nicole for her killer photo skills on this one!  Every one of these shots is hers!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts